Accountability Processes: Creating, Maintaining, Sustaining Community Safety
Accountability processes have become a new buzzword and alternative to the prison industrial complex. As we imagine the world we each want to be a part of creating, what are the documented paths our ancestors have left for us? How my we divest in disposability? Where do we find tools to build these new paths? Are we ready? We will explore some of the early examples of documented accountability processes, speak with those who have experienced one, examine the evolution of accountability, and identify what parts of accountability are useful for the work we are committed to and the communities we value. Participants will create a template of their own personal protocol for accountability by the end of the course.
In this course participants will examine select accountability processes that have been documented and speak with those who have gone through an accountability process to identify aspects that are valuable for their community protocols for safety.
By the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Identify three core aspects of accountability processes that have worked
- Discuss the parts of accountability processes that are of value to their communities
- Draft a protocol for accountability to replace a consequence / punishment
- Examine a variety of accountability processes that have been documented
AASECT Core Knowledge Areas (CKA)
- C. Socio-cultural, familial factors (e.g., ethnicity, culture, religion, spirituality, socioeconomic status, family values), in relation to sexual values and behaviors.
- E. Intimacy skills (e.g., social, emotional, sexual), intimate relationships, interpersonal relationships and family dynamics.
- O. Knowledge of professional communication skills used with clients, students and colleague
- P. History of the discipline of sex research, theory, education, counseling and therapy.
Register here: Thursday May 20 & 27, 2021 10am – 12pm PST / 2pm – 4pm EST
Register here: Friday September 17 & 24, 2021 4pm – 6pm PST / 7pm – 9pm EST